January 29, 2014
TFS Branching Strategy With Scrum AgileI am writing this blog in order to share my experience regarding with implementing Branching Strategy using Team Foundation Server. As you can see in the below picture there are 4 branches at all and I am going to explain all of them one by one. 1- Main Branch: This branch always involve all functionalities that have been implemented by development team. All the done user stories from the scratch until now are located inside this branch.
Main Branch Features:
- Contain whole functionalities
- Without any BUGs
- Ready to publish on Real or Test Environment
- Ready to demo to customer
Development Branch Features:
- Working Environment for Developers
- Unreliable Version, may contains Bugs
- Ready to Publish on Test Environment
Main Release Branch Features:
- Ready to Publish on Production.
- Contain the latest Version of Published functionalities and also Hot Fixes.
- The bridge between each Release Branch and Main Branch.
- Ready to receive full or specific functionalities from the Main Branch to publish
Release Branch Features:
- Contain a stable version that had been published
- First branch for implementing Hot Fixes
- Separate functionalities for different customers
In a PowerPoint file that has been attached at the end of this blog, you can see all steps of agile scrum process using this branching strategy.